A couple of us here at 538 Refugees share a fascination for political conspiracy theories. This particular form of political currency has been around as long as politics. There were all kinds of conspiracy theories about the deaths of Julius Caesar and Cleopatra that have endured to this day. In later centuries, rumors abounded about the fate of the two little Yorkist child princes imprisoned in the Tower by the Duke of Gloucester, and frequent suggestions that William Shakespeare was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth I. Many people still believe that 17-year-old Anastasia, youngest daughter of Nicholas, the last Russian Czar, survived the slaughter of her family by Bolsheviks in 1918, somehow escaped to Europe and eventually lived to old age as an obscure seamstress in rural England.
My friend DC Petterson suggests, quite reasonably, that the very term is a misnomer because to label something a “conspiracy theory” is to consign it to the realm of the outlandish or ridiculous, when in fact many of these theories have a solid basis in fact. After all, there really was a Watergate, a Deep Throat and a Gulf of Tonkin deception.
I’m posting this to see if any of you also have a sneaking fascination with these theories. I’ll list about a dozen that come instantly to mind, and you let us know in the comments if you would be interested in having our crack research staff look into them and report the findings on an occasional basis. Tell us if any or all of these interest you, or if you can think of others you would like to see investigated by us…and discussed by our brilliant and diverse group of readers.
Lee Harvey Oswald didn’t act alone.
Princess Diana was killed by the British Royals because she was pregnant with Dodi Fayed’s child and Prince Philip couldn’t stomach having a Muslim in the family.
Barack Obama is not an American citizen, and his lack of qualifications to be President are being hidden from the American people (“birtherism”).
The Bush administration was complicit in the 9/11 attacks (“trutherism”).
Bush and Cheney deliberately started the Iraq war under false pretenses so they could indulge in personal war profiteering.
Contrary to Truman’s express orders, German Nazis were smuggled into the US under falsified and expunged records after WWII to help with the new nuclear program (“Operation Paperclip”).
- Flight 103 (“Lockerbie”) was bombed by the CIA/DEA to dispose of a couple of whistleblowers on the plane who were going to tell US officials about a mid-east drug dealing operation being run by the US Govt. (I think that’s the theory… this one is really complicated…)
- The American military is still concealing evidence of an alien craft that fell to the earth at Roswell, New Mexico. The remains of the spaceship have been used to reverse-engineer stealth aircraft.
- Reagan made a deal with Iran not to announce release of the Iranian hostages until after he was elected, thus preventing an “October Surprise” that would have benefited Jimmy Carter.
- The Clintons were personally responsible for the deaths of a numerous political enemies, including the brutal murder of their one-time friend Vince Foster.
- Albert de Salvo was not the Boston Strangler and the Boston Attorney General knew the truth but let him be convicted anyway.
- There really were WMD in Iraq, but they were trucked to Syria just before the war began and are waiting there to be used in a strike against the US.
- Sarah Palin has been recruited, groomed and funded by William Kristol and other shadowy but influential neo-cons so they can shoe-horn her into the presidency and then use her power and ignorance to launch wars around the globe.
- Dennis Kucinich really is an alien, and the whole “seeing-a-UFO” story is merely protective cover in case the truth begins to come out.
- Clint Black is actually the biological child of Roy Rogers.
Okay, I made up the last two, but hey… just look at those guys. It makes you wonder….
- Truthers, birthers, and cowards: The week at Fox News…This weekly wrap-up was compiled by Ben Dimiero, a research fellow at Media Matters for America. (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- How Lee Harvey Oswald’s coffin ended up in Brentwood (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Yvette Carnell: In Defense of the Conspiracy Theory (huffingtonpost.com)