The Wildfire Spreads
Like Wisconsin, Indiana’s Democratic legislators have also left the state to thwart a similar Republican bill to bust the unions. Governor Mitch Daniels has decided not to pursue the same measures as Governor Scott Walker by threatening to call in the National Guard or sending troopers after the legislators. Wisconsin, meanwhile, is withholding the paychecks of their wayward Democratic legislators who are reportedly in Illinois. They must now pick up their paychecks in person. In Ohio, protesters have been locked out of the statehouse in anticipation of the scene going on in Wisconsin. It has been rumoured that New Jersey will follow suit with similar measures.
I don’t know what went down at the Republican Governors convention recently but the memo was definitely sent out. The results are going to be significant and not what the Republican Party expected nor wanted.
You Want Extra Cheese With That?
A Pizza Parlour in Wisconsin has been using social media to broadcast requests to feed protestors in Madison. So far they’ve received donations from Egypt, Korea, Finland, New Zealand, Denmark, Australia, Canada, Germany, China, England, The Netherlands, Turkey, Switzerland, Italy, and all fifty states in the US. The Pizza chain was so overwhelmed with orders they had stop their delivery operations in order to continue the ‘Pizza revolution’.
Governor Walker has said that there could be 1,500 to 6,000 public employee layoffs in the next two years if his budget bill is not passed.
- Workers’ Rights Battle Goes National at Pivotal Time for Labor (businessweek.com)
- Walker: Layoffs coming if budget not resolved (hotair.com)
- Plutocracy Now: What Wisconsin is Really About (Mother Jones)
- Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker: We’re Broke and Can’t Negotiate (blogs.abcnews.com)
- WI Gov: With Him or Against Him? (blogs.abcnews.com)
- Fleebaggers urge Walker to negotiate with unions rather than legislators (hotair.com)
- Jesse Berney: Top Six Revelations in the Call Between Fake David Koch and Governor Scott Walker (huffingtonpost.com)
- Chris Christie, Scott Walker: Bold Now, They Were Once the ‘Moderate’ Choice (politicsdaily.com)
- Dave Johnson: What Is The Real Agenda Of The Budget-Cutters? (huffingtonpost.com)
- On prank call, Wis. governor discusses strategy (boston.com)
- Miles Mogulescu: Wisconsin Governor Threatens Metaphoric “Hostage Crisis” Using State Workers as “Hostages” to Break Unions (huffingtonpost.com)
- Scott Walker, governor of Wisconsin, falls for phone prank (guardian.co.uk)