If I see one more piece about Charlie Sheen, I think I’ll scream. What is this ongoing American fascination with Bad Boys? Women love and desire these juvenile, self-absorbed jerks. Men envy them. It’s crazy.
During the 2000 election, Maureen Dowd wrote a memorable column on this topic in which she likened America to a girl being courted by two boys. Al Gore was the earnest polite kid who, on the first date, walks up to the front door, meets your dad and brings flowers for your mom. Dubya was the charming wastrel who lounges outside in his red convertible and honks the horn to summon you, then peels out and leaves a strip of rubber in the driveway while spraying gravel all over your little brother’s bicycle.
Of course America was, as always, smitten with the Bad Boy…and we all know how that worked out.
- Charlie Sheen’s magnetic meltdown: Why do people care about celebrities? (slate.com)
- Opinion: America Addicted to “Meltdown Porn” (patspapers.com)
- Bad Boy of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- Charlie Sheen: Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad (psychologytoday.com)
- Cavalcade of Bad Boy Flameouts (thedailybeast.com)