Big news of the day is the working draft of the GOP’s Pledge to America. You can read all 21 pages here.
I’m not going to immediately comment on the substance of this document because I want to do a comparison piece on the the old ‘Contract with America‘ later when the full version of the ‘Pledge to America’ comes out. For now, let me just highlight some of the points in the draft.
- End the attack on free enterprise by repealling job-killing policies
- A plan to stop out-of-control spending and reduce the size of government
- Repeal the government takeover of health care
- Keep Gitmo open and increase defense spending
- Permanently stop all job-killing tax hikes
- End government control over Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- End TARP
- Reduce the number of and money to Federal assistance programs
- Enact the Hyde Amendment permanently ending government funded abortions
- Tough sanctions against Iran
- Increase border security
Those are just some of the highlights. None of which are really surprising or new ideas from the Republican Party. Many of them loaded with presumptions that are arguably questionable in their veracity. But I’m sure we’ll get around to arguing about them. We may break them down into individual sections for clarity’s sake. But check the document out and give it some thought. The debate will take off this weekend.